Friday, January 30, 2009

It All Comes Down To This...

Cardinals vs. Steelers.

Whisenhunt vs. Tomlin.

Warner vs. Roethlisberger.

My accuracy in picking winners vs. reality.

Okay, so that last one isn't a storyline going into Sunday's Super Bowl (the 43rd of its kind), but with my 5-5 record in the playoffs, this pick will determine my success rate. Last year, I picked the Patriots to win, even though I desperately wanted them to lose - what with the cheating and all. And I was wrong - happily, I might add.

This year, I freely admit I am pulling for the Cardinals. How can you not cheer for a franchise as pathetic as this? The Cards make the Leafs look like a successful franchise when you look at their respective histories.

This is a team which hosted its first playoff game in 61 years this season, then hosted their second 2 weeks later.

This is a team with a quarterback who was left for retired 3 years ago and who wasn't the starter when training camp began.

This is a team with as many names before the word "Cardinals" as the Bills have AFC championships (Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix, Arizona).

This is a team that won their last championship in 1947.

This is a team to root for.

But they are playing the Steelers, the epitomy of success in the NFL. With a 5-1 Super Bowl record, they are tied with the 49ers for most Lombardi trophies (although San Francisco is 5-0 in the big game). A win on Sunday cements Pittsburgh as the league's best team all-time.

A team that found a way to beat the Seahawks 3 years ago for this trophy, even with its quarterback having an awful game (after all, the most important throw in that game was by Antwan Randle-El).

This is a team that didn't do anything special all year, except win when it mattered.

So who will win?

My heart says Arizona. My head says Pittsburgh. I'll go with my head in the hopes, like last year, it is wrong.

Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Arizona Cardinals 24.

Record: 5-5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, I am going with your hear - Arizona

Anonymous said...

Oops,
Me, I am going with YOUR HEART - Arizona