Friday, May 23, 2008

Pens/Wings Prediction

I know, it's a boring title, but my creativity is waning a bit today; I'm even for the playoffs (7-7), so this is my big chance to finish above .500 for the NHL playoff season. Here goes nothing...

Penguins v Red Wings: Ignoring all the talk of youth v experience, this series, to me, is pretty simple: Pittsburgh has yet to lose at home in the playoffs. There is nothing like home ice advantage in the playoffs, and even if Pittsburgh loses the first 2 in Detroit, they will still be confident heading home for Games 3 and 4.

I see a split in the first 2, as Marc-Andre Fleury comes off a shaky Game 1 to steal Game 2 from Detroit. Pittsburgh sweeps at home, but loses their first chance at the Cup in a Game 5 defeat at Joe Louis. Game 6, on a Wednesday night in Pittsburgh, the Pens will knock off the President's Trophy winners and win their first Cup in the Sidney Crosby era.

And because the league and its writers want to anoint the new Gretzky properly, Sid the Kid will win the Conn Smythe. There's a very good chance that he'll deserve it.

Penguins in 6.

Record: 7-7

No comments: