Friday, November 2, 2007

Just Call Me Roger Clemens

Okay, I know I said I was retiring from picks for the NFL, but this weekend's ultra-mega-super-gigantic game between the Patriots and the Colts deserves a pick, if only because there has not been a regular season game like this one in my lifetime.

The Pats are favoured by 5.5 points right now, and that spread has grown from 3 on Monday. It is hard to believe that a Super Bowl champ, who hasn't lost since last November (yes, one year ago now), and has beaten this opponent 3 straight times, including twice at New England, is an underdog. And I know that was a run-on sentence, but I don't care. It is that shocking.

The Patriots seem to do everything right this season, except play with class and dignity. If you're up 38-0 in the 4th quarter and you have 4th and 1 within easy field goal range, you kick the damn field goal. When you're up 45-0 (because, obviously, Darth Belichick went for the TD on the previous drive), you don't air it out every second play. You run out the clock and get ready for next week.

I am hoping beyond hope that the Colts dismantle the Pats on Sunday, but I know that isn't going to happen. It'll be a close game, and New England will probably lead early on.

I still like Indianapolis.

Colts 41, Patriots 37.

The deciding factor? Joseph Addai and Kenton Keith. The Colts running game is far superior to the Pats, and if Indy can control the clock in the 4th, they'll hang on for the ultimate victory. Well, besides that little rain-soaked game in February against the Bears.

No comments: