Saturday, September 8, 2007

NFL Week 1 Picks

Well, it's that time again, where I try vainly to predict the outcomes in the NFL. I wasn't able to get this up in time for the Thursday game, so I won't count it at all. However, I will say that I would have picked the Colts to cover...

Steelers (6.5) @ Browns: It's hard to imagine the Browns being any good this year, although they should be decent in a couple seasons. The Steelers are only two years removed from being champs, and even with a new coach, they should be able to tame Cleveland. Steelers by 10.

Dolphins @ Redskins (3): Neither one of these teams seems to be heading anywhere in particular; Miami's starting a 37-year-old quarterback with a new coach, and Washington has the oldest coach with a new QB. I'll take the home team for no particular reason. Redskins by 6.

Eagles (3.5) @ Packers: Everyone seems to have Philadelphia going far this year, even to the Super Bowl in certain instances. Not me. Although I'll give them a win in Green Bay. Eagles by 14.

Broncos (4) @ Bills: Speaking of teams that everyone but me thinks will do well in '07, here's Denver. I'm a Bills fan, and, as much as I think they'll be below average this year, I always like them at home on opening day. Bills by 3.

Chiefs @ Texans (3): Why are the Texans favoured over a wild card team from last year? No, seriously...why?! Chiefs by 10.

Titans @ Jaguars (7): Tennessee is the darling of the league this year (see the cover of Madden O8) but they are still a year or two away from putting it all together again. Jacksonville, on the other hand, has a fantastic defense and an amazing running game. I think at the end of the year they'll regret cutting Byron Leftwich, but not on Sunday. Jaguars by 10.

Patriots (7.5) @ Jets: The Jets were another of those surprises last year, but everyone loves the Patriots this year. Not me. Call it a hunch. Jets by 6.

Panthers @ Rams (2.5): If either one of these teams were in the AFC, they'd be cooked by Canadian Thanksgiving. But they're not, so they'll contend for a playoff spot. As for Sunday, i'll take the Rams by 10.

Falcons @ Vikings (3.5): If I'm the Falcons, I'm very glad that the season starts with 2 road games; at least that way, the Vick questions back home are delayed a bit. They'll still lose on the road, though, even against the Vikes. Vikings by 7.

Bears @ Chargers (6.5): Game of the day, although it would be better a little later in the year. San Diego needs to prove that last year was a stepping stone to greatness; Rex Grossman needs to prove he can play at an elite level all year. SD wins, but they won't cover. Chargers by 3.

Bucs @ Seahawks (7.5): Seattle seems destined for the playoffs again; Tampa's set for another subpar season. And Seattle's fantastic at home. Seahawks by 17.

Lions @ Raiders (2.5): Soak it in, the Raiders are favoured in a game. They'll blow it. Lions by 6.

Giants @ Cowboys (6.5): Since I picked Dallas to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year, you'd think I'd take them big here, but I don't think they can do that here. But they will win on Sunday. Cowboys by 2.

Ravens @ Bengals (2.5): This is Cincinnati's year to prove to the league that they belong in the elite of it. The Ravens think they're there too, so this is a matchup to watch. I'll take the home team. Bengals by 3.

Cardinals @ 49ers (3.5): Both of these teams seem to be on the cusp on taking that "next step", where they jump from perennial loser to perennial contender. I think it'll be close here, so I'll take the spread. 49ers by 3.

No comments: